RAF Danby Beacon Radar Station - 1942

(the following illustrations and maps are reproduced by kind permission of Stuart McMillan)

 

This illustration shows how RAF Danby Beacon Radar Station will have looked in 1942
- note the present 'beacon' is situated in the bottom right corner near the road junction.
This aerial view is looking north with Freebrough Hill (top left) prominent and the North Sea beyond.
If you get chance to visit what little is left of the site, it is difficult to believe
just how big a complex stood on what is now, once again, wild moorland

 

A closer look at the main buildings - the large, red brick house is the Commanding Officer's home and first aid post.
The grey huts behind are the army billets and work stores - centre right is the guard dog compound.
Across the road from the CO's house are the guard room, fire station and NAAFI.
Traces of some of the roads and gun positions can still be found on the present site.
The following maps show more details of the layout of the Station . . . .

 

 

 

 

It was from Danby Beacon Radar Station that the first enemy plane to be shot down on English soil was tracked

go to Incident at Bannial Flatt Farm

to read abridged extracts from Bill Norman's excellent book, 'Luftwaffe Over the North' for the story behind this episode and view illustrations of the downed plane

 

or go back to photos around Danby and Danby Beacon

or go here for more information about RAF Radars