North York Moors CAM
Skelton-in-Cleveland (my home village)
Church Lane leading to All Saints Church and the south entrance gate to Skelton Castle which is not, unfortunately, open to the public
All Saints Church - some of the gravestones in the churchyard date back to the late 17th and early 18th Century and bear some very interesting and . . . .
. . . . grotesque carvings!
The church is no longer used as a place of worship but a key is available for anyone wishing to look inside
Skelton Castle, as viewed from behind All Saints Church - the original Norman castle was built in 1140 by Robert de Brus and lasted until 1788 when John Hall Stephenson had it demolished and the present building erected
This illustration by Stuart McMillan, based on a wood-cut, is of the original castle which occupied not only the present building's site, but covered the whole of the lawn area seen on the above photograph of the castle. The structure was the biggest and most impressive of its time and was known as 'crazy castle' because of its maze of rooms and secret tunnels. The moat bridge in the bottom right of the sketch was situated where Church Lane (top photo) now exists and the present site of All Saints Church would have been just inside the main gate entrance. The vast moat has long since gone but there is still much remaining evidence of its existence. There have never been any excavations on the site so a wealth of remains must still be there. Had the original castle survived what an attraction it would have been!
For much more historical information on Skelton go to W Danby's excellent website:
Skelton-in-Cleveland in History
For those of you who may be interested in nostalgic photos of the people and characters of North Skelton and other locals, past and present, go to
Photos from The Key magazine
back to top of page
back to Archives Page
go to Homepage